Halloween candy and pets can be tricky.
It can be hard for our four-legged family members to see us snacking on those sweet and delicious smelling treats. Their curiosity could get the better of them which will lead them to raid the bag of candy when you aren’t looking.
So, what do you do if your dog or cat eats Halloween candy?
The first thing to do is call your veterinarian as soon as you’ve realized that your pet has ingested any kind of candy or chocolate. They will have an expert opinion which will take into consideration the amount and type of candy or chocolate consumed, plus the size and age of your pet.
Sometimes, the larger your pet may be, the less affected than a smaller pet that eats the same amount and type of candy.
Your vet will often ask if your pet has already vomited up the candy or chocolate because they often purge the toxin on their own. If they haven’t expelled the candy yet, your vet may recommend using hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting.
Cat owners should know the following.
There’s nothing you can safely give to CATS if they’ve eaten something poisonous.
Products like salt, mustard, syrup of ipecac, and hydrogen peroxide aren’t safe to give in cats, and you need to seek immediate veterinary attention if your cat ate something poisonous. Your veterinarian has more effective drugs called alpha-adrenergic agonist drugs to help induce vomiting.
You can give hydrogen peroxide to a dog, but just how much is safe?
Keep in mind you can give too much which can cause bloody vomiting and uncontrollable vomiting, so it’s important to always use the correct amount.
The dose of hydrogen peroxide in dogs.
0.5–1 ml per pound weight. If your dog weighs 50 pounds, you can give 25–50 ml of fresh, non-expired hydrogen peroxide orally, once. Keep in mind that 15 ml = 1 tablespoon (or 5 ml = 1 teaspoon), so this would be approximately 1.5–3.5 TBSP.
When in doubt, check with your veterinarian. Always be safe and never rely on Dr. Google alone!
What are symptoms of candy or chocolate toxicity?
- Too much energy
- Extreme thirst
- Seizures (in severe cases)
The sooner the treatment, the faster they will get better.
XYLITOL the big Danger to Pets!
The artificial sweetener xylitol is highly toxic to both dogs and cats. Xylitol is found in sugar-free gum and other “low calorie” foods. If ingested and not immediately treated, it can lead to low blood sugar, seizures, liver failure and or death.
Always put away your Halloween candy. Also, do this with food that uses Xylitol. It’s not so much that your dog and cat have a sweet tooth, it’s more that they will eat anything and everything they see. That’s why it’s best to leave toxic foods in a safe place away from them!
Halloween and candy go hand in hand, but no one wants to end up in at the emergency animal hospital. Watch your pets around the candy and let your kids know the dangers of feeding candy to your pets.
Founded by Nicole Brown Packin in 2007, Miami Pet Concierge offers an unmatched suite of professional and quality in-home pet care services. Designed to eliminate any stress and worry of Miami’s busy pet owners, our mission is to keep our client’s pets happy at home because we care when you can’t be there!