305.773.3999

info@miamipetconcierge.com

Holiday Plant Dangers For Pets

The holidays are here and the decorations are out, but did you know many of the plants popular around this time of the year can be harmful to your pets? These beautiful seasonal plants can wreak havoc on your festivities. If precautions haven’t been made so Fido and Kitty haven’t taken a bite out of the fun! There are many Holiday plant dangers to be aware of during the season and we’ve created this guide for you. 

Here Is A List of the Most Dangerous Holiday Season Plants!

amaryllis red flower in pot Amaryllis 

The beauty of this flower is matched by its toxicity. Every single part of this plant is poisonous. If your pet eats the flower or the stem, you’re likely to see them drool, have a decreased appetite, experience abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and tremors. However, consuming the bulb is the most harmful. It causes hemorrhagic gastroenteritis and neurological issues.

 

Christmas cactus plant with red bow in terracotta pot

Christmas Cactus

Fortunately, this plant and its flowers are not toxic to dogs and cats, however, the fibrous plant material can cause irritation to the stomach and intestine, leading to vomiting and diarrhea if eaten.

 

Christmas tree

Christmas Trees

Fir trees contain oils that can irritate your pet’s mouth or stomach, causing drooling or vomiting. Due to the shape of the needles themselves, they can cause agitation and sometimes obstruct or puncture the digestive tract. Additionally, the water used to keep the tree nourished can be contaminated with bacteria, molds, and fertilizers causing your pets to become extremely sick.

 

Kalanchoe plant in striped vase

Kalanchoe

If this flowering holiday plant is eaten, it can lead to gastrointestinal issues such as severe diarrhea and vomiting.

 

Christmas holly close-up

Holly

This sweet looking and very well-known holiday plant packs a big punch.  Holly contains potentially toxic compounds that can cause gastrointestinal irritation. Considered more dangerous to pets than Poinsettias, you should keep your pets away from holly at all times.

 

mistletoe on red ribbonMistletoe

If your pet eats a few leaves or berries of Mistletoe, it can cause the pet to experience breathing problems, a drop in blood pressure, and hallucinations that often lead to unusual behavior. Unfortunately, most store-bought mistletoe has plastic berries or other plastic parts which can cause gastrointestinal problems so severe that your pet may require induced vomiting or even surgery if the pieces get stuck in your pet’s digestive tract.

 

Poinsettas

Poinsettias

Although the flowers and leaves can cause an upset tummy if eaten, it is a myth that this Christmastime plant is deadly in all cases. Ingesting the sap can cause nausea and vomiting in most cases.

What To Do If Your Pet Eats A Holiday Plant

If you think your pet has consumed any of the above plants, then you should contact your vet or take him to the nearest emergency vet immediately. It’s best to keep your pets away from all of the above plants when in your home.

Previous

Next

Subscribe to our bi-weekly newsletter TODAY!

Everyone can own a pet but not everyone can be a pet parent...be the best pet parent by keeping up to date with tips, tricks and articles to help support your fur baby!

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This